Chef Kalfus' experience in the hospitality field spans 30+ years. Beginning with working in independent restaurants as a teenager. Chef Kalfus went on to earn a degree at Northern Arizona University in Hotel and Restaurant Management. With that degree he had the opportunity to work for Marriott Properties (Fairfield Inn and Camelback Inn). He also spent time operating restaurants, spending 9 years working for The Old Spaghetti Factory. There he learned the skills needed for managing all aspects in hospitality related fields, working as a Kitchen Manager, Dining Room Manager, and General Manager.
Chef Kalfus has spent the last 20+ years teaching culinary and hospitality at both the high school and college level. During this time, he returned to Northern Arizona University to earn a Master's Degree in Vocational Education. Chef Kalfus has had the opportunity to teach across the Maricopa County Community College District System, spending time at Estrella Mountain CC, Scottsdale, CC, Mesa CC, as well as Phoenix College. Additionally, Chef Kalfus spent four years teaching for Le Cordon Bleu as an Associate Online Professor of Hospitality Management.
Since 2014, Chef Kalfus was the Culinary, Commercial Baking, and Hospitality Program Director at the East Valley Institute of Technology in Mesa, Arizona. There he also coached the FCCLA culinary competition team.
Chef Kalfus joined the residential faculty at Estrella Mountain Community College's Culinary Institute during the summer of 2021.
Association of Career and Technical Educators of Arizona State Conference Presenter
- Starting School-Based Enterprises
- ServSafe Best Preparation Best Practices
- ServSafe Best Preparation Best Practices 2.0
- 60 Minute Culinary Labs
- Managing Catering and Banquets as a School Based Enterprise
- Proposing Local Occupation Programs for Commercial Baking
- Improving Hospitality Management Programs at the Secondary Level
- Making the most of a strong dual enrollment partnership
- Basics to successful culinary labs
- Rethinking how we teach ServSafe for results
- ServSafe topics that fall through the cracks.
Scottsdale Unified School District Food Services
- 2018 Implementing HACCP into school caferia production
Certified Food Service Manager, ServSafe
Certified Food Service Manager Instructor/Proctor, ServSafe